Hen or Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brennacat, Nov 14, 2015.

1. brennacat

brennacat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    This little frizzle bantam cochin is around 8 weeks old. Not the best pics but one shows the head and the rest of them show the feathers. I have no idea what color this would be classified as. The father is a white frizzle and mom is a partridge. The chick is just losing all the baby down so is in that awkward feathering stage. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kind of unusual i you look above you can see the eyes are blue gray ...its sibling has the same eye color but the parents do not.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerel

3. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    That is what I have been thinking. Do you know what they would call the patterning on his feathers? (mottled, paint, splash or something else)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The eye colours will change as the birds mature.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It looks to be paint. Mottled are black with white flecks, and splash have a double copy of a dilute gene that turns black into light grey. Since this bird has black, there is no dilute gene present.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    does look like a paint

7. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    I agree and is appears to be a cockerel. It isn't a Cochin because your bird has a rose comb and Cochins have single combs. :)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    hmmm ... I figured the age was why I was not seeing comb yet .. dad has beautiful single comb .. he is definitely a frizzle cochin. Mom's comb is very small but all the female cochins I have (standard size) have small combs so never really thought much about it guess I need to go get a closer look at her. Dad was straight from hatchery and got mom at a swap when she was very young. Wondering if she may have a little something else in her and it is coming out in this chick. :( So excited to have two hatch and both be frizzles and this is the first paint I have seen. I have a young calico pullet and was wondering about whether to breed her to white dad or :( this paint. Guess I better use dad and just hope to get more frizzles and the partridge mom guess I will just use as a broody since she loves hatching out babies. She is a year old and hatched a mixed clutch for some of my other hens (before I got the dad) and turned around 3 months later and hid a small clutch of her own eggs - hatching out two frizzles.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He has a rose comb, which is dominant over single combs. A single comb to single comb pairing will never produce a rose comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by