Hen or roo?

phxflurry

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2015

This is a silkie, approximately 12 weeks old. I'm just noticing the waddle development. So does it look like a hen or a rooster? I've not heard any crowing, in fact, all 5 of the chicks we got in November (including this one) still pretty much sound like chicks. Thank you!

Young Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex but given the size of its comb, I'm leaning toward cockerel on this one. Also, it's comb is red (pure Silkies have black combs) which means it has something in it's ancestry besides Silkie. This is not uncommon with hatchery quality Silkies.

Young Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex but given the size of its comb, I'm leaning toward cockerel on this one. Also, it's comb is red (pure Silkies have black combs) which means it has something in it's ancestry besides Silkie. This is not uncommon with hatchery quality Silkies.
Thank you. None of that surprises me at all. We got him as a young chick about a week old from a feed store here. We're relatively new to chickens and I've since learned that the Ameracauanas they sold us are Easter Eggers, and the Polish is a Houdan. It's okay. We aren't breeding or showing, we're in it for the eggs and the fun. The Houdan is just hilarious :) But now I have to find a new home for my little quasi silkie friend, because our city doesn't allow roosters :)

Thank you. None of that surprises me at all. We got him as a young chick about a week old from a feed store here. We're relatively new to chickens and I've since learned that the Ameracauanas they sold us are Easter Eggers, and the Polish is a Houdan. It's okay. We aren't breeding or showing, we're in it for the eggs and the fun. The Houdan is just hilarious :) But now I have to find a new home for my little quasi silkie friend, because our city doesn't allow roosters :)

You're welcome.

I'd say roo with that big comb on him - he is cute as the dickens. Sorry the seller misrepresented the breeds - that's common but, a houdan is a nice breed - so maybe that will even things out.

PS even in well bred hatches you can get silkies with improper comb color, wrong number of toes etc. It doesn't always indicate mixed or poor breeding. No one gets entire litters of show stock . If some breeder tells you all their chicks are show quality - I 'd made tracks away from them.

Back
Top Bottom