1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hansen6dad, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Hansen6dad

Hansen6dad Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    I have this Creole Polish that I feel is a cockerel but I am not sure. it is about 14 or 15 weeks old, It is very docile, not aggressive at all, and has never tried to crow at all, which makes me want to say hen. Even though the wattles and comb are a darker[​IMG]

[​IMG]

red, I feel that they are pretty small for a cockerel, which makes me want to say hen. The Crest is all crazy which makes me want to say cockerel, but I have had other owners say their hen's had crazy crests also. Some of the saddle feathers are starting to curl downward, but I have seen many pics of other hens that curve down too. I'm so confused. What do y'all think.

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sorry, can't help on that one - maybe someone like Yorkshire coop (and I'm sure other members) will be able to give you an educated opinion.

all the best
    CT

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    At almost 4 months I believe it's a hen. In another month you will know for sure.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    With the color in his wattle at that age, I'd guess cockerel.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  5. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    It is definitely a cockerel because it's crest feathers are pointed and have a "wild" look. :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm on the fence about gender but, what a lovely bird - never saw polish that color

7. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    I'm going for a slow maturing cockerel, lol I have changed my mind after first seeing this on FB.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's a cockerel. It is genetically impossible for a pullet to have such 'light' barring. Plus, there is some pretty obvious male specific feathering in the first photo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by