1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rachele coop, May 8, 2016.

1. rachele coop

rachele coop New Egg

May 8, 2016
    I'm thinking my speckled Sussex maracas is a roo. 7 weeks old in the pic and in the last week the comb has doubled in size and turned red and and waddles have popped out. [​IMG] This is the only speckled I have, so I don't have others to compare. Maraca is so friendly and I'm quite attached after nursing it back to health when it had some issues as a chick. Can not have Roos where I live.[​IMG]
    Also a little worried about my silver laced Wyandotte [​IMG]
    Any expert opinions?!?

2. kamrynwade

kamrynwade Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2015
    Sussex is definitely a rooster... Here's my pullet that's significantly older than yours... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  3. kamrynwade

kamrynwade Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2015
    I'm pretty your Wyandotte is a pullet. My wyandotte roosters comb and waddles were a lot more developed/red. But it's feet are quite large soo it could be either.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  4. rachele coop

rachele coop New Egg

May 8, 2016
    Thanks. [​IMG] So sad about maraca, but still hopeful about my slw. I'll wait till he crows before finding him a new home to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by