Hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emickels, Oct 28, 2016.

1. emickels

emickels Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    [​IMG] "Snowy"
    [​IMG] "Ducky"
    [​IMG] "Meatloaf"

I bought these three from Orschelens back in May. I believe they had to have been at least 3 weeks old when I purchased them. They are supposed to be hens. Not hearing any crowing, but Ducky is going through a molt right now and the lower neck feathers I am starting to question!

They were sold and labeled as Ameracaunas. From what I have read elsewhere, typically they are mislabeled EE and you can only get ameracaunas from a breeder. Still am yet to see any eggs from any of them. If I purchased them at 3 weeks old, it would make them 27 weeks old.....

So... What do ya think?!

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Snowy and ducky are hens while meatloaf looks to be a rooster. You are correct and they are technically Easter Eggers. They are notoriously late egg layers. Usually 25 to 30 weeks is pretty common for them to lay. They are a good looking back and will lay pretty colored eggs.

Meatloaf may be pullet I just can't good enough on my phone to tell.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Finally got it to blow up the 3rd pic. All 3 are pullets.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Everyone is female, and they're all Easter eggers.

they look like they should be reaching point of lay, but hatchery EE have been known for being slow starters on this board the last few years. Do you have any other birds?

5. emickels

emickels Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    I have a RIR as well. Her name is Princess. She's the boss of the flock. Also a hen. She's laying nearly every day big, beautiful brown eggs. She is also my "tamer" chicken. It wasn't until she starting laying that she became that way. She squats when I go to pet her, likes to perch on me, and has actually come to my side and laid eggs next to me. LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, thanks for replying! I usually don't get replies!

6. emickels

emickels Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    Also, I really figured they would be laying by now since Princess is. I thought that might encourage them but so far no luck. [​IMG]

Snowy is starting to want to squat when I try to pet her. Also perches on me. Actually to the point where I can pet her some. Not sure if it's because she's getting closer to maturity or if it is because she just is getting used to me.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have three beautiful hens.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Pullets....Also what a Cute Aussie pup....

Cheers!

9. emickels

emickels Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    Thanks @chickens really! She's nearly 11 weeks old! Super smart too!

10. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I have two Aussie crosses....One Border Collie/ Aussie and a Golden Retriever/Aussie....Best Dogs and Very Smart....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by