Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Trouble1391, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Trouble1391

Trouble1391 New Egg

Nov 28, 2016
    Pensacola Florida
    I can't tell whether my EE is
    a she or he.... I'm guessing she? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

The black and white one is a definite roo along with the one in the back with the pea comb and white feathered neck. The brown one in the front is a female along with all of the others.

3. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 The Barred Rock and the one with a pea comb and white feathered neck are definitely young cockerels....All the others look like pullets.

4. Trouble1391

Trouble1391 New Egg

Nov 28, 2016
    Pensacola Florida
    thank you!the EE was the one that was confusing me at first because her comb is so big.... but her "saddle feathers" are rounded so I was on the fence

5. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, i just zoomed in on the photo...the EE does have a large red comb...is she a pure? Normally EEs dont have a single comb... i *think*. What age? With a red comb like that shes either close to laying, or she may be a cockerel. Im not too sure...she does have round saddle feathers....

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

the brown bird in front is a female.

I agree, with that straight comb she may not lay colored eggs for you. Pea combs and the blue egg gene are closely related, so they usually go together. But she'll be an egg layer, not a crower.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet

8. Trouble1391

Trouble1391 New Egg

Nov 28, 2016
    Pensacola Florida

Definately not pure majority of my chickens are mutts (I like em dirty lol) and as far as age I'm not 100% sure I got em from someone who had a mixed flock and didn't know for sure.... the rooster has mounted her a couple times but that comb and her saddle feathers had me scratching my head....me and my hubby have had a fun game of Ho or crow

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by