hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crazy hen quartet, Dec 25, 2008.

1. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    I am thinking hen, but I'm getting nervous cause she is over 30 weeks and not even hinting at laying!

October (on left)

[​IMG]

November

[​IMG]

Today
    [​IMG]

Ok, whats the verdict? Do I have a lazy hen or a roo in hiding?? [​IMG] be a hen, we are not allowed roosters here....

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It's a hen. Don't know why you're not getting eggs.

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You may need to do a thorough search of the area she has access to -- she may be laying where you're not looking.

4. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    She is kept penned with the other three hens.. 12'x16' flat foliage free area with no place to hide whatsoever. we are in AZ so no coop or nooks and crannies, just a pen with a couple of roosts and a nesting box (cat littler box) and shade screen over the top.

They used to free range but that stopped a month ago when I seeded dichondra and I won't be letting them out for a couple more months until it is well established. There is absolutely nowhere eggs could be hiding... [​IMG]

maybe she just isn't feeling it yet??

Ok, well as long as she doesn't start to crow we will be ok. One peep and neighborhood services will be knocking on my door and that will be the end of the urban homestead! [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can't tell if it's an Australorp or a Black Sex link but SHE should be laying.

I have a couple of hens that have never laid... They'll be dinner before the year is out.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Hen... She'll lay when she's good and ready. Or she has a secret stash. (I once found about 30 eggs in a nest on top of the hay pile at a barn I worked in!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by