Hen or roo?

BrandyEast

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
I was told that it was a female buff orp, but she is clearly not. I’m thinking ISA Brown...? Is there a way to sex it? She is around 3-4 weeks. Any help will be great! Thanks!
D685F76E-0608-473A-8066-397A9A182EF5.jpeg
3BBD9899-A472-480A-90F7-AA1E42E72F20.jpeg

Too young to tell the gender but as far as breed goes I’d say ISA brown could definitely be a possibility
I would agree with this. Your little chick there is probably either an ISA Brown or Rhode Island Red. And a bit to early to sex...ISA Brown's and Rhode Island Red's do typically have larger combs for both sexes so its more of a wait and see for a couple more weeks. :)

C98DB679-ADF6-4446-897D-68218112B29F.jpeg
I would agree with this. Your little chick there is probably either an ISA Brown or Rhode Island Red. And a bit to early to sex...ISA Brown's and Rhode Island Red's do typically have larger combs for both sexes so its more of a wait and see for a couple more weeks. :)

Definitely not Rhode Island Red with those white wing feathers

This is my broody Rhode Island Red, I hate when people mix up the pure breed with those hybrids

People say RIR’s don’t go broody, they’re mixing them up with the hybrids, my Rhode Island reds go broody just as much as my buff Orpingtons and they may not cover the same amount of eggs but they are all good mothers. Sexlink/red star hens are a cross between Rhode Island read and white leghorn. They are production hens and some people call them factory birds

Back
Top Bottom