Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LeezyBeezy, Jul 2, 2011.

1. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I bought 6 chicks at TSC this sprnig- 2 each of speckled sussex, barred rock, and NH red. I noticed fairly early on that the SS had combs and wattles earlier than the others, but they seem about the same size otherwise. They've always been very friendly, and the first ones to come running when we go into the barn. A few days ago, one of them crowed! Do you think they're both roos? The first one has a shorter tail right now, but it's the one that rowed. S/he also grabbed one of the litte BRs by the neck twice today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The second one has longer tail feathers. They both are the same size, although #1's comb is a bit redder.
    [​IMG]
    So, if they are roos, is anyone familiar with SS roos? Personality? Our BA roo was mean and drew blood on me and the kids last year. He was culled. #1 seems to be getting bold- he doesn't scoot away but turns his head and looks right up at me. To remind him who's boss, I pick him up and hold him for a minute or two each day. I want him to do his job, but be nice about it.

My second concern is that if they are both roos- that leaves me with 2 roos and 6 hens (2 adult, 4 teenagers). The adults keep them in line in no uncertain terms, and still chase and peck them to remind them who is in charge. I am concerned about roughness, overbreeding, broken feathers. etc. Any thoughts?

thanks, Lee

Oh, and what breed do you think the buff ones are?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Both of your Speckled Sussex are for sure roosters. The buff pullet is a Buff Orpington (one of my top favorite breeds!).

I definitely wouldn't keep more than one rooster. I've found that a flock is calmest/healthiest/most productive with one rooster, compared to no rooster or multiple roosters.

3. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Quote:X2

4. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama

X3

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

X3

X4

6. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyone want a speckled roo?

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I agree with everyone else in that they are both roos. I have raised Speckled Sussex for years and in my experience the roos are very well tempered...but they do love da ladies! One roo on the lot is all you want...more than that and your girls won't have a feather on their heads or their backs.

8. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Quote:X3

X4

x5

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X4

x5

X6