Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nurse_turtle, Sep 29, 2011.

1. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    This girl had me convinced she was a hen, until she raised her hackles to one on my confirmed roosters. She backed down quickly, but I have never seen her do this before. It occurred after introduction of 3 new hens into the already established flock of 7 (4 roosters and 3 hens). I know there are too many roos, but they are young still and will be re-homed in spring. I still believe her to be a hen, but these frizzled ones aren't so easy. This babe is 3+ months old, polish-silkie mix.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I don't see an comb? which ever it sure is an cutie [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Looks like a girl I think. Whatever she/he is, I love the coloring! Pretty sure it's a girl because if the penciling though, but if it's a boy and you don't want it I'll take it! [​IMG]

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I have a big, barred rock hen who is the boss hen in my flock and she will often raise her hackles at my rooster when he ticks her off. Yours was probably doing the same thing. Especially with so many roo's around!

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Yeah I have a dominique pullet who is constantly challenging my rooster...and in the next breath I see her squatting for him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by