1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen or roo??????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickaroo3, Mar 6, 2012.

1. chickaroo3

chickaroo3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Ok I survived incubation...lol...Actually did pretty well...started out with 8 eggs and actually hatched 7 chicks...not bad for a first timer...with a lot of advice from the forum.[​IMG] Now onward.. I have four different breeds from this hatch...2 Polish, 2 speckled sussex, 2 sizzle and one silkie...I know that silkies are virtually impossible to sex until they either crow or lay, but as far as the other breeds go how early can I tell the sex and how? I am assuming that they sizzle are hard to tell also since they are part silkie. Any help would be much appreciated. We are not keeping any roos because of a pain in the @$$ neighbor...thanks

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i don't know about sexing the polish, but you're right about the silkies and sizzle. now as far as the SS go, i can usually tell by about 10 days old (not 100% but usually about 90% in my experience)....the females will get longer (v-shaped) wing feathers coming in, and longer tail feathers. the males wing feathers are square-ish and blunt...also, little tail feathers. i too cannot have roos, and i've had pretty good success with this (which i learned here).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by