Hen or Roo???????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JerzeChick, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JerzeChick

JerzeChick New Egg

Dec 12, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a dozen Barred Rock hens - at least I thought - when I ordered them from the hatchery. They are about 19 weeks old and are doing great but I started to notice that some of my "girls" have combs that are smaller and lighter in color than some of the other "girls". There is one in particular (MiMi) that seems to have taken an interest in one of the other ones (Rebecca) and she follows her everywhere and then they have a staring match with eachother. Once in awhile MiMi will peck Rebecca. MiMi has a very red comb and waddle and Rebecca doesnt. Does that sound like Rooster behavior or just a hen being dominant and bossy? I've heard about the feather technique of sexing but how does one go about sexing a 19 week old chicken??? Obviously, Im new to the chicken scene. Any advice is much appreciated - thanks :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Pullets mature at varying speeds. It is very likely that those with larger combs are simply maturing more rapidly. At this age cockerels will be developing pointy saddle and hackle feathers while pullets will have rounded feathers.

3. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

it sounds like a bossy hen. at 19 weeks you would KNOW a rooster, he would have a big tail, and pointy saddle and neck feathers. good luck!

4. JerzeChick

JerzeChick New Egg

Dec 12, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the info guys!!! I would have thought that if it was a rooster, it would be crowing by now right?? I hope she's just a bossy hen. I don't want any roosters and I don't want to have to break my kids hearts if we had to give the rooster to a good home :(

5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, unless there is another rooster in the flock, it would probably be crowing by now. mine started at 10 weeks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by