Hen or Roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ShellBelle, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ShellBelle

ShellBelle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    I have 2 Buff Orpingtons... They are the same age but this one has a much larger comb... Otherwise their body shapes are the same. Is she a "she"??? I sure hope so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    how old

3. skyblu

skyblu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Devon, UK
    I'd be inclined to keep an eye on the feathers rather than the comb to be honest - I have just reared 2 BO pullets and they were so different to each other. One had a large comb and the other had a tiny comb but had a very red face generally from about 10 weeks - they also grew and feathered up in totally different ways, so it was impossible to tell the gender until about 17 weeks and no saddle or hackle feathers appeared - just nice fluffy rounded girly butts! What age are yours? From the pics, yours looks to have no more indication of being a cockerel than my girls did at that stage

4. I do not see any reason she/he would not be a hen can I see a pic of one of her brothers or sisters

5. ShellBelle

Feb 3, 2013
    I think they are around 11weeks old.

6. ShellBelle

Feb 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is the sister :)

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    at 11 weeks i lean more towards a cockerel...now repost when they get about 20 weeks they may have started crowing by then as well

8. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    With combs and wattles that red at 11 weeks, I'm going to go with roos too. But BOs can be tricky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by