hen or roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by philc814, Mar 15, 2013.

1. philc814

philc814 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    What is the first signs you see to know if any of your chicks are roosters?

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I can tell only after they start getting pointed hackle feather and saddle feathers. Sometimes they're around 14 or more weeks old before I'm certain. Unwanted roosters are pretty easy to rehome via Craigslist. So I don't sweat it.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    The feet on males are very large and the joints in their legs are larger.

4. DimondaleBergs

DimondaleBergs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    I was going to ask this same question Philc, but instead I will just hop on your thread. lol At what age do the combs start changing colors on roos? I have 12 pullets that I got from TSC...2 are definite black sex links, 5 pullets ( the sign said the potential breeds are: RIR'S, Isa Browns, Black Sex Links, and Barred Rocks), 5 red pullets (potential breeds: RIR's, NHR, Isa Browns, and Buff Orpington) if that makes a difference in the answer to my question. lol

Thanks

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    prob. about 4 weeks old

6. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    i wish i had pics but i dont dang it . sorry . i ordered 15 Barred rock pullets and they sent a meal maker too - i lost one chick . that meal maker is a Roo .the rest are pullets . at 5 days i could tell by the wing feathers and now at 12 days im certain. " his" leg coloring is different than my girls , hes slimmer than the girls his feathers are coming in slower and longer. the girls are plump and have squarish feathers . he still has a fuzzy butt even! . all breed are different i guess !!! but weve named this one TANK till we find him a new home or the dinner table not sure yet.

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    yeah when I ordered from Meyers I said "I would like a meal maker Female please! I have a family who I want to donate to that likes eggs." and they did they sent a barred rock female.

8. DimondaleBergs

Feb 28, 2013
    Does the feather length test work on all breeds? And if so...is there a certain age you have to do it by? LOL I'm so hoping I don't have any roo's because we can't keep them so I want to be as prepared as possible. lol

Thanks

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    When purchasing pullets there is very little chance of getting a cockerel. The 90% accuracy disclaimer is very conservative. In reality it's closer to 99% pullet.

Some breeds are very easy to sex as chicks. Barred Rocks being the easiest. Sex links are obvious different colors so 100% sexing. If all the same breed then larger legs is the biggest clue to cockerels and in few weeks the pullets usually get wing feathers first. At 5 weeks the cockerels will start to get red coloring in comb, the pullets wont get read combs until near point of lay. Also cockerels get their wattles much sooner. Think pullets are 12 weeks, or that's when they start to cluck...can't remember it's been a year since my last hatch. It's either clucking at 9 weeks and wattles at 12 or other way around.

10. DimondaleBergs

Feb 28, 2013
    LOL Thanks. I have a couple that are getting a tiny bit of red in their combs/wattles. They are almost 8 weeks old now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by