1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenniebean123, Aug 26, 2013.

1. jenniebean123

jenniebean123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    These are my 2 silkies
    [​IMG]
    These are my 3 speckled sussex
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And these are my french black copper marans [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Just guessing here going mostly by comb size, my votes are; The silkies the one on the left is a male, the right a female. The sussex the one in the middle female, the other two male. The BCM, both males.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    What are they, about 2 or 3 weeks?

Right now, nobody has a reddening comb, so there is hope they could all be hens.

It can be tricky at this age, so usually it is more indicative at 6 to 8 weeks. Males will get larger redder combs pretty fast while the girls will feather faster.

Of the Speckled Sussex, the girls will get a "tear drop" shape while the boys will be stumpy and squattier.

There's a good sexing SS thread here on BYC which I found useful in sexing SS.
    Here's one with good photos at 5 weeks of pullet and roo: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/531756/sexing-speckled-sussex
    And a long thread about sexing SS: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ckled-sussex-gender-update-7-week-old-pics/20

I'm not as familiar with the Marans, but their combs don't scream male to me yet. If they are male, those combs will get big and red fast.

Wait a few more weeks and you should have much better indicators.
    Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: I can't help with the Silkies...can't sex those yet.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I would say that all your babies are too young to sex. Post some more photos when they are 8 weeks old or so and have fully feathered.

5. jenniebean123

jenniebean123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    All are supposted to be 4 weeks but the silkies are supposted to be about 8 now

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I really think they're younger than that--they only have partial wing feathers and by four weeks they should be feathered except for the heads. And silkies are notoriously difficult to sex. There is a silkie sexing thread in this forum that could help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by