Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hippiefarmer27, Oct 28, 2013.

1. hippiefarmer27

hippiefarmer27 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi there,
    So I am new to raising chickens; I have a flock of 7, supposedly all hens. The one in question was given to me as a chick, and the owner did not know the breed. On top of that, she/he turned out to be a frizzle. 4 months old and definitely top of the pecking order. Started crowing 2 days ago, and of course I was shocked, thinking that I had all hens. Did some research and read that the dominant hen can sometimes crow; at this point, I'm very confused. If hens can crow, then I can't determine its a rooster simply by the crowing. Hoping some of you chicken veterans can help me out here. Hen or Roo? and Breed if possible. Thank y'all so much.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    He is a rooster, has rooster tail feathers, saddle feathers, color on the shoulder etc. He is a really pretty bird, love what the frizzle does to the neck hackle feathers.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    With the peacomb, cheek puffs/ beard and color would guess Easter Egger/Ameraucana on him.

4. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    X2, beautiful bird!

5. mara1

mara1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Hes so cool

6. hippiefarmer27

hippiefarmer27 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Well, guess Henrietta is now Henry.....Thank you so much for helping. Definitely my favorite chicken, fun to watch him arch those neck feathers forward and run at the others. Intimidates the heck out of em. Really hate that I gotta get rid of him. No roosters allowed where I live, plus my neighbors aren't too chicken friendly, its just a matter of time before they come knocking. The crowing is much louder than I expected, but I quite enjoy it.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, he's unique enough you may not have too hard a time finding a good home for him. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by