Hen or Roo?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cneidel1, Jan 10, 2014.

1. cneidel1

cneidel1 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

approx 12 wks old.
    Backstory: I had what I thought were 3 Barred Rock hens and 1 RIR Rooster, well I hatched some eggs and ended up with three that look like this, and the red one that is in the background of the pic. Based on black sex link info i've found this SHOULD be a roo... But they also should have all hatched out barred or black, so I'm not sure what the original hens or roo have hidden in their genes. lol.

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Hmm Bizzare. Looks like a pullet to me. Do you have pics of the parents?

3. cneidel1

cneidel1 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't have pics of the parents, but I did get the hens from someone in my area, not a feed store or breeder or anything, so maybe they are mixed. they look like barred rocks, I'm not sure, they were my first chickens and I raised them from babies, so I know they did not get with a different rooster somehow. Two of the chicks look like this, one has a more red comb and one is red.

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Any Barred hen whether a mixed breed or not will pass the barred gene to males only. It might be the case that you have 3 males and the one with the redder comb is maturing faster.

It does look like a pullet though to me so these chicks dont make sense, and Im not sure how the other chicken you hatched is red.

5. cneidel1

cneidel1 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    Im not sure which is more bizarre, the red one or the barred ones that should be roos but look like pullets...... LOL. I guess it's just going to be a waiting game and we will see how they turn out. Anyone have a rough guess as to how old they'll have to be before I can tell?

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    "It" does look like a pullet.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by