1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen or roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shannondee12, Feb 8, 2014.

1. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    This one has me stumped. These chickens are a group from
    [​IMG]
    purebred parents (mixed chicks) and are going on 3 months old. any suggestions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    The white one looks like a white brahma.

HS Pye

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Definitely not a brahma, they have rose combs and feathered legs and feet.

Looks like maybe White Sussex. Im not sure if I read correct are they from purebred parents and all these chicks are mixes?

As for gender Im not sure, I want to say pullet but its comb and wattles are quite red for 3 months old.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    Brahma isn't a breed she had in her flock. Yes these are all mixes but breed doesn't bother as much as gender. I see no saddle or hackle feathers that tell me roo however, the red comb and waffles concern me. Although I have 3 others that are obviously males from the same hatch and their combs are larger but not as red.

5. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not yet 3 months old--I say rooster. Pullets don't have that red a comb this young. Other wise the pic isn't great for sexing--profile shots are really needed to see feathering, tail set, body shape and stance, etc.

I believe it's a mixed breed bird. If any pure bred it would maybe be a poorly colored Colombian Rock. Sussex have white legs, brahmas have feathered legs (and pea combs, not rose combs), Delawares have more barring than this bird, Wyandottes have rose combs.

If it's the same age, the black and gold bird to the right in the last two pics also looks male, and I'd be suspicious of the bird in the first pic on the right where we can only see the body.

7. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    Good call on the other 2 in the pic. They are both boys. The black and gold one is the one I'm planning to keep. He is an we (Cheek tufts, muff and he hatched from a blue egg) The other black and white one is a silver laced wyandotte cross. They are all mixed.

8. AfewBricks

AfewBricks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    This is totally a guess, but I'm going with sussex wyandottes cross. Those look like wyandotte legs to me. And boy. Sorry.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    and the coloring would been called light brahma not white :)

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by