hen or roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rugerlady, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Rugerlady

Rugerlady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    I received this speckled sussex yesterday and was told it was a hen. It's the meanest most hateful bird on the planet. I'm hoping it's a hen otherwise it may be a Saturday night pot pie:D [​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    How old? She's looks like a hen. Her comb looks pale.

3. Rugerlady

Rugerlady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    They told me roughly a year and a half old. Never encountered such a mean bird!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    She's a hen. Her bad temperament is surprising given the friendly, gentle reputation of the Speckled Sussex. I've had them before and none of mine were mean. It's just goes to prove that old axiom that for every breed, there's always an exception. Hopefully she will be a good layer for you.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you just got her yesterday, for heaven's sake give her some time! Adult animals do NOT move well and behave weird the first few days in their new homes. Horses fence walk, gallop around, call/scream, etc. Goats test fences, call/scream, etc. Chickens are terrified, very vocal looking for their "lost" flock members, and not in a frame of mind to be a sweet pet. Give her a few days, and it will probably take a few weeks for her to really settle in. I know I'd be less than congenial in her situation [​IMG]

6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I find that the more time and care you put into your chickens, the more you will get back from them. I am not referring solely to eggs, either.

I feel bad for this bird. She has had a hard time and I'm not surprised she is shaken and anxious.

Give her a little TLC and see if she comes good before making any rash decisions.

Maybe she was just treated badly before, and you are her second chance at a good life. [​IMG]

- Krista

7. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

Yes, I agree. She may be just stressed out.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    She does not appear to be in the best condition - pale comb, rough feathering, her face looks dry, etc - and has been through a very stressful change -- give her some time to settle in and bring her back to good health *then* evaluate what kind of bird she is.

9. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    That's what I was thinking......she looks like she's not feeling well. She has a pretty pale comb.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by