Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karrowsmith, Sep 23, 2014.

1. karrowsmith

karrowsmith Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Green Valley, Il
    [​IMG]

This is Skinny Finny. Let's just say, before my first Roo left, Finny was a lot skinnier! But the name stuck. This chicken has never crowed in his or her life. Could this be the first silent roo, or just one big boned hen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. karrowsmith

Aug 4, 2014
    Green Valley, Il
    [​IMG]

My gang and Finny doing naughty things to Dottie...

3. It is a rooster. He has a large, red comb and wattles, along with the rooster hackle and saddle feathers.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Hello again. I met you on the New Member Introductions section and saw Skinny Finney's picture. As I stated there (and as our experts here have now confirmed), Skinny Finney is a boy. Sorry. :eek:(

5. karrowsmith

Aug 4, 2014
    Green Valley, Il
    [​IMG] :( Off with his head! Not really, I may keep him since he is mute! Thanks for the confirmation. She is now a he! :)

6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    100% boy!

And a very handsome one at that.

Krista

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree it's a rooster. How long has your other guy been gone? Some folks find having a dominant rooster keeps a younger bird from crowing as soon or as much (not around here, but others say so). Orpingtons are also slower to mature, although if he's mating, he could be crowing. Just enjoy!

8. karrowsmith

Aug 4, 2014
    Green Valley, Il
    Roo has been gone for about a month and a half. I just lost my other easter egger a week ago. Not sure if she got in the talons of a hawk or the fangs of a coyote. No sounds were made by any. My Pekins always let me know if there is company in the yard, 2 or 4 legged. Finn makes kind of a purring sound maybe that is his crow. Who knows but the feathery friends are a fun goofy bunch to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by