Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by stephstuckman, Nov 5, 2014.

1. stephstuckman

stephstuckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

2. royal chickens

royal chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    how old is it

3. Dragons4u

Dragons4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Looks like a roo to me.

4. stephstuckman

Jul 15, 2014
    12 weeks

5. stephstuckman

Jul 15, 2014
    I was guessing that, darn it. I just put light on them for a week now and finally got a tuxedo to start crowing and get foam but none of the others yet. I still can't get this group separated. They are reds, tuxedos, A&M and and 2 golden Roos. They are not fighting or anything so I was trying to wait to butcher them until I can do all the extra roosters at once and keep one for the hens. Any tips to encourage breeding?

6. Dragons4u

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Time. Some birds wont start really mating until after 12 weeks, even if the hens start laying at six weeks.
    Here's what you can do though which will help separate them out some what. Put each bird in something by themself where they can't see the other birds. The roosters will start crowing usually to get the others to talk back. It can take time for them to crow....And when you put them back with the others, fighting may start.

7. Dragons4u

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Oh, and providing 14 to 16 hours of light may stimulate breeding and will definitely stimulate laying.

8. stephstuckman

Jul 15, 2014
    Well so far I have three roosters that started to crow now. They are marked with zip tie leg bands

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by