Hen or roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TamiHunter, Feb 22, 2015.

1. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My EE is about 8 weeks old. I tried to get a front and side view. I was leaning towards roo but not sure.[​IMG]What do you experts out there think? If it turns out to be a boy, he will need to find a new home because I can not have roos where I live now. :-(

Thanks BYC friends!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The comb makes me think pullet, but the splotchy red on the wings makes me think cockerel. Could you get a clear, close-up photo of the tail/back area? I can't tell from these photos whether it has any pointed saddle feathers.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Coloring makes me think cockerel although the first picture appears very feminine.

4. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple more. I will try and get better ones in a bit if needed.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    With the new photos, I'm leaning towards pullet, but I'm still not 100% sure.

6. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is indeed a pullet. Such a pretty bird! My DH really likes "her" too.

7. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    The stance of your bird is not overly male, and I agree with @Sourland that it's comb looks quite feminine too. At only 8 weeks old I suppose there is still time for that to develop? Likewise, saddle and sickle feathers may take some time to appear too.

I can't get past the colouring on the wings though. I'm only new at the chicken sexing game but was always told this is classic male colouring.

I wonder if it is possible that it could be a slower developing male?

Some birds are harder to sex than others, and with this bird it might simply be too early to tell. You may have to wait another 3 weeks or so and re-post some updated pictures then.

If pushed for a guess, I'm going with cockerel, purely based on colouring. [​IMG]

I sure hope I'm wrong for your sake though!

- Krista

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  8. jlquick30

jlquick30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    East Texas
    I would say pullet if I had to choose, based on stance and that very first picture.

1 person likes this.
  9. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    ACK!!! No roo, no roo!!!! LOL Out of the 7 EE's I have, 1 is a boy for sure. It's comb is the reddest of them all. All the others have almost no comb except for the one pictured, but it's very pale.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I can't get past the red coloration on the wings, so am leaning towards cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by