Hen or Rooser?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by acbrandt5, Feb 7, 2014.

1. acbrandt5

acbrandt5 New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    [​IMG]

My son got this chicken last fall for 4-h and they assured us it was a hen. Well "she" started crowing some today and looks like a rooster to me. It is about 7-8 months old. We are new to chickens and only have 4 that are all suppose to be hens. Thank you

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You're correct, that is a rooster. I'll give the seller the benefit of doubt and say maybe it was too young to accurately sex, but I'd still advise you to contact them and have them either refund your money or exchange the bird for a female.

Now that you've found us, feel free to post pics of any birds you're looking to buy, especially if it's a breed you're not familiar with. We see so many folks getting ripped off, it's horrible. We've been able to avert a few bad purchases by having folks post pics first and confirming breed and/or gender. This is especially great if there's going to be a long drive involved to pick up the birds--you hate to drive all that way and come home empty handed!

3. kallan

kallan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2013
    Hardy, VA
    Welcome! You will find BYCs an incredible resource.

Definitely a gorgeous roo.......

4. acbrandt5

acbrandt5 New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    Thank you for the quick replies. I thought it was a roo, but being new to the chicken world I wa second guessing myself. My son is in 4-h and raises rabbits and shows them, so this is a new experience for us.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Maybe the breeder will sell you a hen at a reduced price to go with your cute rooster. I am not a "bantam" person buy he is cute enough to change my mind.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Did anyone else notice all the trophies in the background? Congratulations!

7. chickenfam6

chickenfam6 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    Looks like a rooster to me too. Welcome to BYC!

8. acbrandt5

acbrandt5 New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    Thank you, My son raises and shows rabbits and cavies (guinea pigs), so most are from rabbit shows and 4-h. And he used to race radio control trucks. That is one of his displays.

9. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a Mille Fleur D'uccle or a mix of it. gorgeous.

10. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    My thoughts exactly. Beautiful roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by