Hen or Rooster? $100 on the line

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mari1, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Mari1

Mari1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    A while back my aunt got a "hen" named "chika." When i first saw it, i said, "That's a rooster." She said, "Nuh-uh."
    Chika has long droopy tail feathers and 'her' spurs are beginning to grow. 'She' even mates the hens and crows.
    Still, my uncle told me, "My $100 to your $1 that chika is a hen."
    I told him, chika is a roo, with the long droopy tail feathers and the fact it courts the hens and struts around all the time.
    He says no, that the "Game" breed does that, both hens and roosters.
    Once, i've even seen Chika lower his head, fluff up his neck feathers and do his little "I'maafightyou" dance.

How do I prove Chika is a rooster to this stubborn man?
    I thought maybe i could catch the roo and show him its butt or something to win the bet.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Is the bird in question the one in your avatar? If so that is a rooster.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

4. ilovemysilkie

ilovemysilkie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2013
    Wisconsin

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree, the bird in your avatar is a rooster.

Spurs aren't reliable in sexing, especially with game hens. They're quite as likely to grow spurs.
    Game hens also seem more likely to crow, but it's still older hens as a rule.
    Any dominant hen can mount another hen, but it's not so common with a rooster in the picture.
    But a dominant hen won't "court" another hen. That's another behavior entirely.
    But, those long, pointy, flowing tail feathers, no hen has those. Or that tail. It's called a rooster tail for a reason.

Thing is, if they can't see that bird is a rooster, they're either pulling your leg or you'll never collect on that bet.

6. Well, it sure sounds like a rooster to me.. Could you post a picture? Does he/she have pointy saddle feathers?
    [​IMG]Try showing him this picture if the chicken has pointy saddle feathers.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. bantambury

bantambury life does go on.

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    you are totally correct with this my friend! this will PROVE anything a hen or roo!

1 person likes this.
  8. i have noticed that
    a hen has a large flat vent (that kind of looks like lips)
    while a rooster has a small round vent that is rather hard to find,

i don't know if this is 100% true but it has helped me prove genders to my family before.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    If you post a picture you could easily find people to either tell you you are correct or not. Then show your uncle. Maybe other people saying it won't sway him, but when you have 15 people telling you are wrong it is hard to still see things as you did before.

10. Mari1

Mari1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    Thank you for your replies! The avatar rooster is not the one, but he is absolutely a roo. Thank you for the picture! I'll show this to him, and as soon as i get a pic I'll post it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by