hen or rooster (a lot of pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nicokl502, Aug 7, 2011.

1. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    so i have some 18 weeks old chickens and i am not sure if they are hen or rooster, i need to know because i can't have rooster's if any are i need help finding homes for him!! i live in kc mo and will drive to find i home for them but i am hoping for all gals, i have a lot of pictures i know some aren't good but it has been so hard to get any good ones thanks so much
    #1 [​IMG]
    #2[​IMG]
    #3[​IMG]
    #4[​IMG]
    #5[​IMG]
    #6[​IMG]

i hope the picture come out ok i wasn't sure how to put them on here thanks again

2. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    I think all pullets, except with the silkie I have no idea either way. But everyone else looks like girls to me.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    were they ordered as sexed pullets? they all look correctly sexed to me [​IMG]

4. ColbertChick

ColbertChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I'm pretty new to all of this but they all look like pullets to me!! I can't tell with the Silkie, one of the many experts here will have to help.

5. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Pretty chickens. The silkie's color is pretty. Have you heard any crowing? by 18 weeks old you should of by now. It won't be long and you will have eggs. Some breeds may lay as early as 18 weeks and others as late as 26 weeks.
    Front what I can tell, looks like you may have pullets. What breeds are they?
    Generally in pullets the combs are smaller and usually lighter pink than the reddish in cockerels. The wattles on pullets are either absent or much smaller than the cockerels.
    Good Luck.

6. nicokl502

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    thats great news, Tinychicky i got them from a feed store and they were not sexed we just guessed so that why i wasn't sure, i had a silkie that passed away from a dog [​IMG] and it look like that one but i wasn't sure until she laid a eye so i guess i will just have to wait and see with that one

7. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    All females. Silkie idk though. But shouldnt be a problem. They are quite docile. And most people that dont raise chickens know nothing about silkies. Hehe. You could sneak him.[​IMG]

8. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I zoomed in. Wattles are big. It seems to be a eilkie roo.

9. nicokl502

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    1 hen and 1 roo i haven't head any crowing yet but i am not sure about the breeds when went to the feed store we forgot to wright it down because they where just so cute so if anyone know just let me know. i love the silkie color too my son named it baby, i have had silkie before but they where from online and we knew the sex but the people next door got in our yard and killed most of them [​IMG]

10. nicokl502

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    what one looks like a roo the black one???? or the silkie because thats what i was thinking the one that past away kinda of had the same thing and thought it was a roo too but then it laid a egg i guess i will have to wait and see

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by