Hen or Rooster Americauna

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ela, May 12, 2010.

1. Ela

Ela New Egg

May 11, 2010
    Hey guys. I recently built my first coop and bought my daughters their first chicks. They are now 6 weeks old and I noticed the Americauna acts like the boss of the other 3. If they wonder too far away, she/he calls them as if to tell them to come back. I was hoping someone could help me figure out if i may have ended up with one rooster. Here are a few pictures, but if a different angle would help, let me know and i will take a new picture.
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Easter Egger Rooster. He is not an Ameraucana [​IMG]

3. Ela

Ela New Egg

May 11, 2010
    Quote:well that isnt what i was hoping to hear! thank you though. So how can you tell? The comb?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    color, comb, posture ee cockeral [​IMG]

5. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Roo. The EE pullets generally have very very little comb (I've been obsessively looking at pictures since one of my 2 EE pullets end up not). As far as the behavior, the breed seems to often be that way. My pullet is worse like that than the roo (they are only 10 weeks now). Bossy things, but so entertaining! [​IMG]

6. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Some EE hens have large combs too, so don't let that fool ya. You want to watch for the longer feathers above the tail (saddle feathers), these will be longer.

But, this one is starting to display saddle feathers, in the second pic, and longer tail feathers too. I would say possible roo too, but give it a few more weeks and see.

Here's a pic of one of my EE hens that had a larger sized comb:
    [​IMG]
    Front view:
    [​IMG]

Here's a roo at approx. the same age as yours, notice the feathers above the tail are longer:
    [​IMG]
    And the roo full grown:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    EE roo

8. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010