Hen or Rooster Americauna

Ela

Hatching
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Hey guys. I recently built my first coop and bought my daughters their first chicks. They are now 6 weeks old and I noticed the Americauna acts like the boss of the other 3. If they wonder too far away, she/he calls them as if to tell them to come back. I was hoping someone could help me figure out if i may have ended up with one rooster. Here are a few pictures, but if a different angle would help, let me know and i will take a new picture.
Thanks.
1273716137025278900.jpg

1273716246097158200.jpg

Quote:
well that isnt what i was hoping to hear! thank you though. So how can you tell? The comb?

Roo. The EE pullets generally have very very little comb (I've been obsessively looking at pictures since one of my 2 EE pullets end up not). As far as the behavior, the breed seems to often be that way. My pullet is worse like that than the roo (they are only 10 weeks now). Bossy things, but so entertaining!
smile.png

Some EE hens have large combs too, so don't let that fool ya. You want to watch for the longer feathers above the tail (saddle feathers), these will be longer.

But, this one is starting to display saddle feathers, in the second pic, and longer tail feathers too. I would say possible roo too, but give it a few more weeks and see.

Here's a pic of one of my EE hens that had a larger sized comb:
chickens112.jpg

Front view:
chickens059.jpg

Here's a roo at approx. the same age as yours, notice the feathers above the tail are longer:
birdies008.jpg

And the roo full grown:
stuff020.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom