Hen or Rooster behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chookboy, May 18, 2008.

1. chookboy

chookboy Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Australia, Melbourne
    Hi,

I have a 13 week old chicken that looks like a rooster, he has the spikey neck feathers and it looks like it started growing sattle feather but often it makes the "bok.... bok bok bok.... bok bok bok bok bok bok" sound like its about to lay an egg. Is this behaviour of a hen or a rooster?? do roosters even make these kind of sound?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes roosters do make that call, both when they see a hen on a nest or laying an egg and if they see a ground predator like a cat or dog.

3. ella

Also [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chookboy

May 18, 2008
    Australia, Melbourne
    Thanks for the reply ella but i think there's some misunderstanding... its not the "angry" bok bok BOK! bok bok BOK! sound but its the soft and rapid sound like what hens do b4 they lay the egg.

It goes like this:

BOK.... bok bok bok... BOK.... bok bok bok.....

If that make sense? LOL [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. ella

Hmm not exactly sure what that one is, is it like he's nesting?

6. chookboy

May 18, 2008
    Australia, Melbourne
    he make this sound when he is walking around the yard... what I notice is just b4 my hens lay an egg it makes these sound when it is "looking" for a nesting area to lay its egg.

Sometimes it sounds like this:

"Bok..... bok bok bok bok bok..... BOk.... bok bok bok bok bok bok bok bok bok bok...."

He also tend to walk abit faster than normally when he make these sounds...

Maybe its best if i can get a photo to upload but that will take a few days because i'm work during the day.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  7. eggsgalore

eggsgalore Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Roosters also announce some tasty treats to their hens this way. The rooster will not eat it himself but watches kinda proudly what he found for them as they eat it. I love those kind of roos.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Roosters can and will make every sound a hen does, along with the "rooster sounds".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by