Hen or Rooster? Breed?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gmoneymeadows, Mar 23, 2016.

1. gmoneymeadows

gmoneymeadows New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Golden, CO
    We bought these pullets at a local feed store. We were told they were around a year old. People keep questioning whether the 2 with the large red combs are really roosters and not hens. We haven't had any wake up calls yet nor have we had any eggs yet. I'm almost 99% sure they are hens. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post photos at "what breed or gender is this." Some breeds have hens with large combs so that is not always the deciding factor.

3. Farmgirl0422

Farmgirl0422 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2015
    Central Oregon
    Unfortunately in the last pic the chicken to the right looks like it has saddle feathers and longer looking tail feathers. So I would say that one is rooster. I can't tell with the other one but I don't see saddle feathers or rooster looking feathers. But next time you go out there you should check the saddle and tail feathers yourself and you will probably get a clearer answer then me!
    Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. gmoneymeadows

gmoneymeadows New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Golden, CO
    Thanks! I will make sure to post in the right place next time. New to the site :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. Don't worry about no posting in the "right place" - I was very confused when i first joined - people are very helpful, and won't ignore a thread just cos its not in the most appropriate place. I'm sure that DD was suggesting that forum in order for you to get maximum responses to your question, thats all.

Best wishes
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by