Hen or rooster buff orpington

peeber

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 20, 2016
My chicks are 13 weeks old and I'm starting to wonder if one of my Buff Orpingtons is a rooster. Just looks quite a bit different than the other, although I've read that isn't a great indicator at this age. These are my first chicks and so far things are going well. Just curious if anyone has an opinion. I know if she starts to crow that will be a definitive answer - or at least I think so. Thanks

My BOs are 12 weeks, all roos, and their combs and wattles are HUGE compared to yours.

Last edited:
My chicks are 13 weeks old and I'm starting to wonder if one of my Buff Orpingtons is a rooster. Just looks quite a bit different than the other, although I've read that isn't a great indicator at this age. These are my first chicks and so far things are going well. Just curious if anyone has an opinion. I know if she starts to crow that will be a definitive answer - or at least I think so. Thanks
Look like pullets to me.

Thanks for your input. Maybe these photos will help. It's hard to get a decent side picture of the busy girls!

Definitely see the difference between yours and mine. Was just curious because my two are so different. I'll know for sure eventually. thank you!

Back
Top Bottom