1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or rooster? Bullying !

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by trowbri1, Mar 19, 2016.

1. trowbri1

trowbri1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    Picked up 3 black sex link pullets at tractor supply 3 weeks ago. Can anyone confirm this is a pullet? They are all 3 mean but this particular one pecks all my other 8 hens, minus the 2 other black sex links. The others all have a raw spot on their back from where this one constantly pecks them. The others run everytime thi[​IMG]
    s one comes close. Is this a hen? And what can i do to stop her pecking?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. trowbri1

Feb 29, 2016
    All my othes have spots like this from the above chicken in question. She is constantly pecking the others.[​IMG]

3. DarkWater1929

DarkWater1929 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Redding, California
    What a nasty little piece of work! I know that there are methods to stop pecking. I have not had to try any, thank goodness, but I bet a search here, or Google, or youtube (my 3 go-to Q&A resources) like "How to stop chicken pecking" would yield many ideas. But, what about just installing some kind of barrier between this one and its fellows?

Best of luck!

4. trowbri1

Feb 29, 2016
    I've already got it separated from the others. She is in time out

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What size is their pen? Do you still have a brooder light on them? What are you feeding them? How many treats?

6. trowbri1

Feb 29, 2016
    Brooder light is on. Feeding them starter/grower. They've had some shredded carrots once. Their pen is 2.5'x4' there are 9 total chickens in there, 3 of which are bantams.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That's not enough room for 9 chicks, only my opinion. If they are indoors, and fully feathered, they don't need a source of heat. They may be too warm and too bored.

8. trowbri1

Feb 29, 2016
    they are in my garage

9. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    It's comb looks like a cockeral.

If it's hurting the others I suggest you take him/her away from the other 2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by