1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen or rooster, duck or drake

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barefootcountry, Aug 20, 2013.

1. barefootcountry

barefootcountry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    New York State
    Hi -
    Ordered chickens this year...ordered all hens except for one buff rooster.
    Was wondering if our 2 RIR are hens or roosters. (They look the same - tail feathers, crops and combs, just one is darker)
    They look like roosters, but are not acting like roosters.

[​IMG]

Our Buff rooster has been crowing and acting like rooster for a month plus now. All our chickens are the same age (21wks). Our chickens haven't started laying yet, so I can't tell by egg production.
    The Buff has spur nubs but the RIR that look like roosters don't...

Also, (I think I already know the answer) was wondering if one of our ducks is a drake...we specifically ordered 3 ducks for eggs and it looks like we got 1 drake...(Buttons or Uncle Waldo, depending on if it's a duck or drake). Buttons has the raspy quack, orange feet, the dark tail feathers, but I can't tell from the head yet. The ducks are younger then our chickens, so they aren't laying yet either and Buttons has made no attempt to mate yet (15wks)...Buttons is so docile and quiet and doesn't freakout when you catch "him"....whether male or female, Buttons is a keeper
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can give.....

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The Rhode Island Red pictured is 100% rooster. He's probably not crowing because he isn't as high in the pecking order as your Buff rooster. Still, he should start crowing in a few weeks. As for your duck/drake question, what breed of duck do you have? It appears to be a drake, but I am not a duck expert, and knowing the breed would help.

3. barefootcountry

Aug 20, 2013
    New York State
    OOPs forgot - Ducks are Khaki Cambells......Ugh on roosters, knocks my egg production down and will have to find a home for the RIRs

4. barefootcountry

Aug 20, 2013
    New York State
    Thanks for the info though..... :/

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    In that case, I think that your duck is a drake. I could be wrong, but his bill color is that of a drake (females Khaki Campbells, at least those that I have seen, have bluish colored bills, while males have a more yellow colored bill). His general appearance is that of a male, too, though he has yet to develop the dark head and neck color of a Khaki Campbell drake.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    The duck with the white on the neck is a drake, you can see that his tail feathers are starting to curl up wards like a male. The rir is a rooster also.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Both males.

8. barefootcountry

Aug 20, 2013
    New York State
    Thank you all for your responses....we were afraid that the 3 in question were males...will be keeping the drake, but will have to find a home for the roosters :( Frustrating, because we are down 3 egg producers. Will have to contact the hatcheries...I can imagine that sexing chickens/ducks is difficult and not always 100%, but we paid specifically (extra money) for females.....Brenda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by