Hen or Rooster? EE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Candy442, Jul 22, 2013.

Rooster or Hen?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2013.
  1. 1. Rooster

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 2 Hen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Candy442

Candy442 Songster

Apr 2, 2013
    Williamston, MI
    EE 16 weeks old...single thick pea row that is curvy and raised up a bit [​IMG] We really are not 100 percent sure on this one! The others I am almost positive are hens...well...not the grey one with four legs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added a poll...not sure how that works but will try! I will post pics of the other seven we have because I am 90 percent sure the rest are hens...at least one of them are, we have been getting eggs!

Thanks for the help and feedback!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is a cockerel, and he is going to be a beauty when he matures.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's a rooster, at least the left half is lol.
    Seriously, I'm looking at those pics and thinking he's a, a, what do you call it.....where two sperm fertilized or something like that. Sorry, chemo-brain has taken over and I can't always think of my words! The sides don't match up at all, and that's not normal for a chicken. Sometimes both halves are the same gender, sometimes they're each one gender. The color I can see from the right side looks rooish, but I can't clearly see hackle/saddle feathers like I can on the left side. This is so cool! Can you get a good, clear pic of each side of him? I sure hope someone comes on who remembers what this is called.......

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  4. Candy442

Candy442 Songster

Apr 2, 2013
    Williamston, MI
    Hi donrae,

Here are two sides of "him" LOL. You would think at 16 weeks it would be easy to tell, but TwoTone seems to be really two different halfs of bird, hence the name Two Tone (it started as Tomy Tutone [​IMG] )

right side:

[​IMG]

Now the left side:

[​IMG]

Looks like I will have to correct my signature line....8 darling chickens, one rooster so far, seven hens.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  5. Candy442

Candy442 Songster

Apr 2, 2013
    Williamston, MI
    I thought it would be fun to post "Two Tones" baby picture...

[​IMG]

he is the one second from left....had one light side, one brown.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    He looks very cool. His name fits him good.

7. CedarCityChicks

CedarCityChicks Hatching

Jul 19, 2013
    Lebanon, TN
    I'm fairly new at this, but, I say "rooster". Look in your first picture, at the "pimple" on the leg. I think you'll see a spur develop there soon. I own four EE's and they are certainly special birds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CedarCityChicks

CedarCityChicks Hatching

Jul 19, 2013
    Lebanon, TN
    I'm fairly new at this, but, I say "rooster". Look in your first picture, at the "pimple" on the leg. I think you'll see a spur develop there soon. I own four EE's and they are certainly special birds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks for the pics! He does look male on both sides, I don't know what the name is for it. Half male and half female is gynandromorphy, not sure what both male is. A few years ago someone on here had a rooster that was frizzled on one side, smooth feathered on one side, with the sides also being different colors if I recall. Sometimes they can have different colored legs, or a muff/beard only on one side, etc. He's quite the looker, are you able to keep a rooster?

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Hens can get spurs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: