hen or rooster golden laced wyandotte

mbach

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hope this is in the right thread. This is my first year with chickens. Can hens have that iridescent shine to them? I thought it was a rooster trait but she is supposed to be a hen? She also isn't very evenly laced. Is it just because she is hatchery quality? She is a little over 8 weeks.
H
20181019_133843.jpg
20181019_133723.jpg
1YMfdk5zXKVd5nR6HXJMook-39_65NVxLsPy4p60DiorqLF1bLMlRM8qJEWCDtbk9IZqzUMYard6BsJmGUWSVpUlxHkMgiF3J2ldcWshGetEPOxuHCiHxPoXCHfQK4tUeYHxIJIcKwIArkXo2OcHwD4qXIHRGzNtjiMz9XdH1k3UZv6yA7bNfqZoGPnj_3HoBvybhyLNINoLKMb6v7s03dzydyoFNwWKpOMdiKkzOpvNjmtdUjsmdzUNmkXep91r5L5isVa1j6OXLcyEhQi3Odw4_GwYSbAy1c3SsAojPC37_EOJ-PlgbjBIUnO6BLuppNqFWk2a-Qby08EDJTjQtu6g1WKeS4IxVmacsJ6RFSs_GsztVTuX8aTKS5yKwk-jhu2adC-IcU1Sdrx0k-uqF8_KvWvFCpwyNckSc7aduloeqPys9dPmQRxKzje4w8nHCWOUi9NdMwf8TG5Scq5B0LZ7sIuZVJD3OeztFRPFSiYLZBT8Iqy7GP9K3vdi_Gn5cyAZS59A2T2bYSLqBebLQZA_kLfS1XMkI-VPd5Mcxcfb2ibu2_aKNNpXGyhk0aUtBNr-egi6HxxHZxgB9tLhLF8v_Uu1CS-_avaA5BrxXxWAAfgoqbBROjuXmlg_hbo=w662-h882-no

Attachments

• IMG_20180829_145642.jpg
    IMG_20180829_145642.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 27
All those small feathers on the saddle and the dark orange feathers on the wings could end up being signs of a male. I'd compare the comb to your other wyandotte that looks to be female and I'd compare leg/feet side by side, if this one has a lot larger legs then it's probably a male. If not then give it a few more weeks and you'll know forsure by the feathers

Thank you! I never even thought she could be a roo until someone said to me that a hens feathers usually don't shine blue/greenish as hers does in the sun. They also mentioned that she acts like a roo. She is constantly on alert and very protective. I just thought that there has to be one leader in the pack, right? I read a lot but I feel like there is more to learn from experiences then a book.

Thank you! I never even thought she could be a roo until someone said to me that a hens feathers usually don't shine blue/greenish as hers does in the sun. They also mentioned that she acts like a roo. She is constantly on alert and very protective. I just thought that there has to be one leader in the pack, right? I read a lot but I feel like there is more to learn from experiences then a book.
You're more than welcome! :)

All black plumage, regardless of gender, will produce a lovely greenish purple iridescence. :) Sheen is not in the least exclusive to males.

Another point I must make is that behavior isn't normally a good indicator, especially this early on. Some pullets play the alpha, while many cockerels are cool, calm, and collected. :D It's all in gauging the physical maturation traits at this age.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom