Hen or rooster?! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kitty135, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Hello! I recently got 15 chicks (5 RR's, 5 orpingtons, 2 light brahmas, 1 red star, 1 barred rock, and 1 silver laced Wyandotte). I'm 14 years old and new to raising chicks. We ordered all pullets since we can't have a rooster, yet one of the brahmas appears to be a rooster. The chicks are a week old and the one brahma is significantly larger than all the other chicks. Also, it's chest sticks out sort of like a roosters does. Please give your opinion!!

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] Can you post pictures of it? It would be a lot easier to tell. [​IMG]

3. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    My grandparents are keeping an eye on them right now so I can't take any pics [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Don't panic. Some chicks are just bigger than others...male or female doesn't matter. And the chest sticking out could just be a large crop - a few of my girls have chests like Dolly Parton. Females will also (eventually) chest bump one another and front one another. So unless a chick has a bright pink comb that stands out as way bigger/brighter than other same age chicks (which probably isn't the case at one week), I wouldn't start worrying about ending up with a cockerel.

5. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    Thank you soo much! But what should I do just in case she ends up being a "he"?

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well that breed is supposed to be very well mannered roosters, so you could keep him if you're allowed to. Or you can post an ad for him on Craigs List or at your local feed stores. Someone may take him.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Just give it some time, let it get a little older, and post pic's when you can. My EE was an absolute moose compared to the others, all the same age. Bigger all over, big thick legs. Turned into a very nice hen.

8. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Unless you vent sex them or the chicks are sex links, one week is way way way too early to determine gender. As a PP said, some chicks mature much faster than others and this is no indicator of later size. Our Cochin chicks are usually the smallest and fluffiest of all our chicks, and then BOOM! they become the largest of all the chickens.

Wait about four to five weeks, when the combs and wattles begin to develop. You should have a clearer view then of whether or not you've got a roo. Did you get them from a hatchery? Most will guarantee their pullets.

If you aren't allowed a rooster due to local ordinances, you can always post it for sale on craigslist or at your local feed store. Good luck!

9. MeowCluckBark

MeowCluckBark Chicken Lickin' Good

Mar 28, 2011
    Boise, ID
    Depending on where you live there are farms and other places that will take roosters for food.

Brahma's are very large birds. It's one of the reasons I picked them. My friend had some Brahmas last year when she was starting out and of all of her chicks the brahmas were my favorite. It turned out all 3 of hers were boys and she couldn't keep them after all. She did keep one for a long time, but she finally gave up on him because he was so much bigger than her bantams and even her other standards. Her other rooster she wanted to keep didn't like him either so there was fuss between them. In general though he was a friendly sweet guy. He'd go lofting off after one of the girls and it was the funniest thing to watch.

My girls are just over 2 weeks old and they are pretty big girls. I wouldn't worry just yet. If they were sexed for you then odds are in your favor, hopefully. I think someone said around 6-8 weeks you could really tell on a Brahma. I could be wrong I'd have to double check that.

10. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I agree that you are going to have to wait a few weeks to see if it is a rooster or not. Too early to tell now. I will warn you though that with 15 chicks you are likely to have 1 or 2 roosters. Sexing is usually about 90% accurate. If you end up with all 15 being hens then you beat the odds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by