hen or rooster?(PICTURES!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 77horses, Oct 27, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    we have a splash cochin 'rooster' who is about 3-5 months old. we are pretty sure he is a he, not a she. he hasn't crowed yet at all. here's some pics of 'him'.

body picture:
    [​IMG]

head picture:

[​IMG]

And here he is with the buff oprington pullets:

[​IMG]

He is still pretty young, and hasn't crowed. The person we bought him from said she is pretty sure he's a male and is 3-5 months old, just like the buffs. Any thoughts???

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    sorry about the messy coop. [​IMG] we are still working on it! He looks like a male to me, but when I looked at female pictures of his breed, his tail seemed like a female's tail...? [​IMG]

Here's a picture of a female:(from Google)

[​IMG]

Doesn't her tail look similar??? But Foghorn's(our rooster) has pretty big wattles and a pretty big comb. But his tail just looks like a hen...like it's rounded and it doesn't go up and then curve down like I have seen many splash cochin rooster's tails....

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Beautiful Roo

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    so he's absolutely a rooster? YAY! [​IMG] That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure with all you experts. [​IMG]

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Thanks! Yes, he's a pretty boy! Thanks to Melilem, who raised him and we bought him from her. [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope he turns out to be a good breeding rooster for the girls! [​IMG]

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I'm not a expert on cochins I have only every owned one. I had a beautiful black girl who was about a year old. I raised her from a chick and she didnt have that much of a comb at that age. Thats why I expect a roo.

He is beautiful I love his color!

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Definately a cockerel.

8. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    I vote cockerel... and a nice one too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by