Hen or Rooster? Pictures.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Thebernards, May 26, 2016.

1. Thebernards

Thebernards Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    So I had what I thought was a 5 month old Americauna hen. She is at the top of the pecking order. We free range them most of the day if that means anything. Well....she kinda crowed yesterday, not a really loud crow, but a crow. Now I'm upset because we arent zoned for roosters and he/she is by far my favorite because it's so beautiful!! Can anyone tell me if this is a hen or am I going to need to rehomed my now [​IMG]rooster? I can't bare to freezer it. The comb isn't large is my only thing!! I don't know.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    He's a cockerel, sorry :( The comb isn't large because it is a pea comb, and even on roosters they do not get very big.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  3. Thebernards

Jun 30, 2014
    Well crap.

4. Thebernards

Jun 30, 2014
    What made you think rooster?? I'm calling vets trying to find one that can help me identify him/her, lol.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Well, he's an easter egger, so one clue is the red in the shoulders - only cockerels get coloration like that. But the real giveaway are his hackle and saddle feathers. They're long and pointy - only roosters get hackle and saddle feathers like that.

6. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    The redness in the comb and wattles definitely points towards a cockerel as to the size of the comb, Easter Eggers are mixed breed chickens but most have a pea comb, hence the small comb. The longer pointed feathers on the lower back top of tail area indicate cockerel as well, and one more thing the red/rust coloring on the wings in an Easter Egger is another indication of it being a cockerel. I'm sorry to say but you have an Easter Egger cockerel

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Its an Easter Egger rooster, the saddle feathers, sickle feathers, patchy coloring, and the three row pea comb gives it away. No way that is a hen, sorry :(.

8. Thebernards

Jun 30, 2014
    Awwww man!!! Isn't he pretty?!?! Crap. Not going to lie, I'm disappointed.

9. Thebernards

Jun 30, 2014
    Thank you all!!! My vet laughed and said she will confirm for free so I'm bringing him in Sat morning just to confirm, but I believe you guys. This is my last hold out, lol.

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    He is gorgeous, but I know how it is [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by