Hen or Rooster should leave?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Littell2Meadows, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Littell2Meadows

Littell2Meadows Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Cheney, WA
    We were given a Hen (Ida) who looks like a brown Barred Rock and a Banty Rooster (Frank) in May '14. Ida was laying 4-5 eggs a week. They were both about a year old. A week later we bought 6 - 1 week old Barred Rock chicks. Turns out there were 5 hens and 1 rooster in our 6 chicks. We integrated them when the two others when they were about 8 weeks old. Everything seemed to be fine until a dog got a hold of our laying hen. She received a leg sprain. She quit laying after a week which we kind of expected due to the trauma however within another week she was acting afraid to go into the coop. I found the Banty Rooster pecking apart her head. I rescued her and separated her into another pen by herself. Her leg seems to be hurting less and she is walking more normal.

This morning the Banty Rooster started pecking at the head of another hen but she just got away from him.

So now what do I do? I'm thinking about separating out the Frank and putting Ida back with the other chickens.

Is Frank getting aggressive because the new rooster is maturing?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd get rid of your rooster.

3. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    2roosters creates competition.... get rid of one of them...

4. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I would be getting rid of Frank! He could have killed Ida or the other hen. I wouldn't want to mate an aggressive rooster. The point of a rooster is either protection (which him killing your hens or harming them is the opposite) or fertile eggs and its suggested traits like aggressiveness are genetic.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

6. kayakfish

kayakfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Cumberland, VA
    Rooster for sure keep the hen that can be productive

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by