Hen or Rooster Silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BackyardDove, Mar 23, 2015.

1. BackyardDove

BackyardDove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    I have a small flock of silkies that are exactly 10 months today. I've figured out by now who all are hens and who all are roosters by using my knowledge of how a rooster and how a hen acts/looks. However, I'm stumped on one of my silkies. I thought she was a he for the longest time. It has a comb and wattle that's visible and larger than my hen's who either have no comb/wattle or very little of them, but it's comb/wattle is smaller than my other silkie roosters. It's also a bit smaller than the other roosters. When I thought it was a she I had it in with the other hens. However, I noticed it trying to get onto the back's of my hens and heard it crow a very, very pitiful crow every now and then. It's crow is just a short, loud spurt of noise, following by a short silence, then again followed by a final spurt of noise that sounds like a dying chicken. So, I put it into the pen with the other roosters. They got along just fine, but I've been noticing more often that my roosters will try to get onto it's back! It doesn't cower down like hens though, but that doesn't stop the roosters from trying. At first I just noticed one of the roosters doing this and thought nothing much of it, but I've been seeing the other roosters do it too lately. However, my older, dominant rooster doesn't bother my he/she chicken. As far as I know, it's never laid an egg, but that doesn't mean much since I've only gotten a few silkie eggs due to them not laying in the winter. Does anybody have some advice or an explanation?

2. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Do you have a picture of him/her?

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    A photo would help.

5. BackyardDove

BackyardDove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are these two good? I just got home, so I couldn't take a picture earlier.

6. kasie cochran

kasie cochran Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    I say rooster

7. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by