1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen or Rooster? Which one? Help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by catahoulamax, Oct 8, 2013.

1. catahoulamax

catahoulamax In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Saint Amant, LA
    [​IMG]
    The hen in front is a golden sex link. The one in the back is what I hope is a RIR hen.
    Am I correct?

2. imogene08

imogene08 Chirping

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Could you get a better picture of them the front one looks like roo but I could be wrong

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. catahoulamax

Jul 23, 2013
    Saint Amant, LA
    The one with the head lower is definitely a hen, she is already laying, I'm not sure of the one with the head high. It doesn't have saddle feathers that I can tell, and not shiny but I'm not confident that it is a hen. I'll get different picture in the am.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

The one in the front is a red sex link (also known as a golden sex link, golden comet, cinnamon queen, red star, and etc..) the chicken in the back is a hatchery quality Rhode Island Red rooster (known as Production Reds or Cherry Eggers).

5. catahoulamax

Jul 23, 2013
    Saint Amant, LA
    [​IMG] what about this pic

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a rooster.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    He's a rooster for sure. He's probably a hatchery quality Rhode Island Red or a Production Red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: