Hen or rooster?

Audrey82

Hatching
Jul 22, 2015
A few weeks ago, my five year old caught two chickens during a rodeo. Due to the large comb and waddle, I assumed she had one hen and one rooster. I have no idea how old they are, but the " rooster" isn't crowing and doesn't really have "rooster" tail feathers. I was hoping someone more experienced than me could tell if it is a hen or rooster. Thank you.

That's a hen. I have two and they look just like that, but they are both hens also. This type of breed just has a bigger comb than other breeds do because they use this breed the most for egg production. It looks like she will start laying good white eggs for you anytime now if she already hasn't started. Congrats on the rodeo win. ;)

Thank you all for the replies. I began questioning it when I stumbled across an article abut chickens, the author kept referring to her hens, yet in all the pictures both had large combs like my daughter's. Then I began thinking I just might have two hens on my hands. Guess I can tell my daughter it's safe to go back to collecting eggs (we collected / ate the first few, but then we've been leaving them to see if the hen would sit and hatch them, but guess that won't happen until we get a rooster).

Can someone tell me why you have to spread the feathers in your hand for feather sexing? These guys just hatched a few days ago and I'm curious why its so difficult. What am I

missing? Any guesses on these guys? :)

Back
Top Bottom