1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Boom Boom Chick, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Boom Boom Chick

Boom Boom Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    Hi Y'all,

I need some help with my 8 week old buff orpington bantam chick. I think she [​IMG]
    is a hen and is on her own since her momma is sitting again on another egg. Therefore, our baby is being raised in the same coop with our momma who hatched her and our rooster who is separated next to the coop in a seperate area. The rooster dances for our baby when he is out and about and the baby now crows like him. We are wondering if she is mimicking him because momma isn't raising her now and we have noticed before momma started sitting again about a month ago momma started pecking at the baby like she didn't want her around anymore. Can anyone help?

2. corewassen87

corewassen87 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I don't see a buff Orpington bantam

3. corewassen87

corewassen87 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Kinda looks like a buff brahma bantam

1 person likes this.
  4. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

x2. It looks like it has a peacomb. And I'm not so sure about gender... Looks like a pullet, but it's comb is awfully orange-red

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's definitely not a Buff Orpington bantam, and it doesn't look like a pure Buff Brahma bantam to me either although it does appear to have a pea comb. Are its legs feathered? And given the size and redness of that comb at 8 weeks, I'm thinking you have a cockerel.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    He isn't an Orpington, and he doesn't look quite right for a Brahma either. But it is a HE - that comb is rather red for just 8 weeks and the crowing gives it away.

7. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

It would help to determine breed if you posted a side view of him, could you do that? Maybe he's just a mix-breed :/

8. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    With that large comb it looks like it's a cockerel and his breed looks to be a Vorwerk bantam :)

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    He's certainly colored like a Vorwerk bantam. My only question is the comb since Vorwerk bantams have single combs. I would like to see a close up profile pic clearly showing the comb.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your hen brooded this chick, where did the egg come from? That will help narrow down breed, as will a profile picture.

Agree it's a cockerel, that's why it's crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by