Hen or Rooster?

sebloc

Chirping
May 7, 2016
Connecticut
Hello

We bought our chickens from a small farm not too far away. We bought them at 1-2 weeks old, and based off of research, it's hard to determine what gender the chick may be.

At the moment, they are between 5-6 weeks old. We have 3 different breeds, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, and some Barred Rock (2 each, 6 total)

One of our reds is targeting the buffs for no reason. The barred rocks are not being picked on, however. The other red is also not being picked on, nor picking on the other buffs.

Below I will specify each size of an individual chick.
Both Reds are the same size, the biggest.

Both Rocks are about the same size, one a little bigger. The bigger one is the same size as the reds.

One Buff is the same size as the bigger reds, but the other is about the same size as the smaller rock.

The reason I am giving you these details, is because I would like to completely clarify if the size comparisons could be triggering the fight before we get to the gender.

Now, to the gender. The biggest red is the one picking on the buffs. We believe this could possibly mean the chick is a male, as she/he has bigger legs, a bigger comb, and has signs of spurs. The chick has signs of wattles coming in as well, while the other chick of the same breed, same size, has no signs of any of these things. His/her comb is a little crooked, not sure if that proves anything.

Here is a picture below. (Sorry for the quality and angle of the photo, this chick was a little testy today)
hmm.png

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Back
Top Bottom