Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scackalaky, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Hen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rooster

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. scackalaky

scackalaky New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    Gray Court, SC
    We recently got a few chickens to start our program and now we are wondering if they are what we were told. The guy sad they were three Rhode Island hens and one Plymouth Rock rooster. The Plymouth Rock is definitely a rooster. He crows all the time. One of the Rhode Island hens is much smaller than the other two and recently on of the larger ones is crowing. Not very loud, but she is definitely crowing. We are starting to wonder if we only got one hen due to the size and look of the two larger Rhode Islands. They have also started getting aggressive with each other. We don't want to have three roosters! Please look at the picture below and let me know if you think that the two Rhode Islands are roosters or not. We don't want to sell them if they are hens!

Just for fun, I added a poll below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! We are new to owning chickens and don't want to create an environment where they are hurting each other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. corewassen87

corewassen87 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    All three look like roosters IMO

3. WyoChickies

WyoChickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Cheyenne, WY
    x2

4. ChknChck

ChknChck New Egg

Oct 30, 2014
    North Georiga
    If they're crowing, it's a rooster. All of my RIR hens have combs & are larger hens, but they do not crow & they lay eggs. Sorry to hear that!

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Closer, individual, side profile photos would make assessment of gender more accurate. Also, some idea of age. I would be guessing at the moment even with my specs on!

Regards

Barbara

6. scackalaky

scackalaky New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    Gray Court, SC
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will try to get some better pics later.

Of the two Rhode Islands that we think may be roosters, only one is crowing so far.

The guy who sold them to us said they are about 5 months old. None are laying. Not even the smaller one that we are pretty sure is a hen.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I see one mixed barred rooster and two red roosters.

Take them back to the seller, they're clearly not female.

If you like, post pics of future possible purchases and we can verify gender before you buy.

8. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    The 2 reds are definitely boys. Those dark red shiny saddle feathers are like a neon sign. Agree with donrae.

9. scackalaky

scackalaky New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    Gray Court, SC
    Thanks everyone! I'd say the verdict is in. My wife is going to be so sad. We really like them but I can't have three roosters fighting with each other!

We will also post here before making purchases in the future. Thanks for all your help!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by