1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by arizonasnst, Sep 2, 2016.

1. arizonasnst

arizonasnst Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    The guy I bought this chicken from told me it was a five or six month old barred rock pullet. She seems to be a little more aggressive then most of my other hens and not fearful of things she should, like my dog. She also has one feather that is all black without barring and has a green tint like a black maran so I'm not sure if she is the age, breed, or gender he said. Also the chicken with her is a 25 week old black Maran for a sizing reference.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I only see one picture.
    By 5 months, it should be clear what the sex is. Curved and sickle tail feathers, pointy wing and hackle feathers, larger comb and wattles.
    Aggressiveness isn't an indication of sex. Plenty of pullets can be aggressive. Sometimes they have to be to survive. Not just the boys.

3. arizonasnst

May 8, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. arizonasnst

May 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. arizonasnst

May 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. arizonasnst

May 8, 2016
    Here are some pictures, don't know why they didn't come when i posted it the first time. Thanks your your quick response. I'm not certain she is 5 months, but she does look only slightly smaller than my black Marian

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  7. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Looks like a pullet to me although I don't think it's 5 months old. Here's a pic of my 5 month old BR for comparison

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock pullet.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture