Hen or rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horcigirl, Feb 12, 2017.

1. horcigirl

horcigirl New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    WE have a beautiful frizzle cross araucana chicken that we have hand raised from 4 weeks old. Lately she has started crowing, which is not entirely unusual according to my sources. She has a non prominent comb/wattle and NO leg spurs.

However, her tail is becoming rather lush andI saw her jump on another hen the other day, which leads me to think she is a rooster.

We cannot have another rooster but we really want to keep a her!!! I am unfamiliar with these breeds and their physical traits. Any practical suggestions would be appreciated.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Could we get a pic? You already mentioned you have other roosters, so my guess is a rooster.Soemtimes when there is no rooster rule in the flock a hen may begin to carry off like a rooster (Not by its looks, but it's sound and attitude.)But only when there is no dominant role in the flock.

It may still be a hen, just a very dominant hen.If a hen is jumping another hen, it usually is her way of dominating.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  3. horcigirl

horcigirl New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    Sure, took one with clear view of the legs. See, no spurs. Apart from a few curly tail feathers on the side, they finish quite squarely (like a hen). Gender confusion, or hermaphrodite lol. Here is her/his/it's pic

[​IMG]

We have 3 pekins, 1 silkie cross something, 1 unknown bantom breed, 1 araucana cross brown shaver, 1 RIR cross brown shaver, 1 stunning silkie bantom rooster and of course our gender confused frizzle :)

The rooster seems to love her/him/it still even though they crow together.

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Not familiar with the breed but looks like a cockerel to me.

5. horcigirl

horcigirl New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks. Will wait and see I guess. Just don't want the boys to start fighting, Cheers

6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Boy. [​IMG] sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by