1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nataliem, Mar 30, 2017.

1. nataliem

nataliem New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Hello everyone, I'm a new member from the south coast, nsw Australia. Love my chickens and I'm lucky enough to have hatched 3 new additions 12 weeks ago. Can you help please, roosters or hens? Thanks in advance

[​IMG]
    This is coco

[​IMG]
    And this is roo, or rooby

2. RogerTheChicken

RogerTheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    I dont see any saddle feathers so i think they are hens

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Those are both handsome young males. That much comb at this young age means male all the way. Plus, any white bird with red patches on the wing/shoulder like the second boy is male, females won't have that coloring. Same for the darker red shading on the wing of the red bird.

Looks like you hatched second generation sex links?

Beautiful pictures, by the way! Clear, tight, great lighting, it was easy to ID those birds. No squinting involved [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Gorgeous photos you have spoiled us agree with donrae about the roosters - sorry

5. nataliem

nataliem New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Im not sure what sex link means, I will do some research. I have attached a photo of the rooster and I was told the hens were isa brown x's. bit of a mix of everything I think. The lady I got the eggs from said the hens were fantastic layers. I'm not too concerned if they're roosters as I set out with wanting just one more layer. I have a couple of silky hens and a polish bantam and just wanted to add one good layer to the mix. If they were all hens I would need to extend the Chook house, which is fine. I'm happy either way as I'm sure the third one is a hen. Thanks for the comments re the photos. Taken with an iPhone.

[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The Isa brown from the mother's side is the sex linkage I was referring to. Just means basically now you'll get red and white birds. And yep, any pullets from them should be wonderful layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by