1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen or rooster.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by madlaina, Jul 20, 2018.

1. madlaina

madlaina In the Brooder

May 12, 2018
    Victoria, Australia
    Hi all you knowledgeable people, I need some help. One of our backyard flock is crowing, but we don’t know which, as it only happens first thing in the morning. None of our ‘chickens’ are obviously male, some have just started laying and are therefore confirmed hens.
    They are all 22-23 weeks old and from mixed parentage, most likely Araucana (Australian, not American) x Australorp ( autocorrect just turned this into Australopithecus).
    I have attached photos of the most likely ‘contender’ due to comb & wattle size and colouring, but I don’t see any evidence of elongated saddle feathers.
    Could this be a rooster?

Attached Files:

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. Nope not that one. It's a hen. :)

drumstick diva likes this.
  3. PachecoPeeps

PachecoPeeps Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Newman, CA
    Looks like a pullet and she is so cute!!! The redness means she is either getting ready to start laying or is already laying.

Your male should have very different feathering by now. If you can observe the flock and you should probably be able to pick the male out based on behavior.

You could also have a rare pullet that crows. It’s happened before

HuskerHens18 likes this.
  4. madlaina

madlaina In the Brooder

May 12, 2018
    Victoria, Australia
    EA0A4B2A-7465-442B-9DF7-8EBF7E7D4810.jpeg ??? The others are even more ‘hen-like’. No sign of elongated saddle or neck feathers on any of them and much smaller combs and wattles. Photo of 2 of the others attached plus 2 more in the background head down. Ignore the brown one - confirmed hen.
    Could I have a crowing hen? Is that even possible?

drumstick diva and HuskerHens18 like this.
  5. Looks like you may have a crowing hen, I see no roosters!

Flockandfowl46 likes this.
  6. madlaina

madlaina In the Brooder

May 12, 2018
    Victoria, Australia
    Ok, now to catch it on video.

7. Flockandfowl46

Flockandfowl46 Songster

Mar 28, 2018
    Southwest Virginia USA
    That light slate gray one behind the hen in the first pic...can you get some better shots of that one?

8. madlaina

madlaina In the Brooder

May 12, 2018
    Victoria, Australia
    The one first picture in my very first post? If so then that’s the mama hen that came with the chicks. She is also peaking our from the bushes in the background of the last picture.

9. madlaina

madlaina In the Brooder

May 12, 2018
    Victoria, Australia
    A25F4B1A-0977-4361-9271-9D3F5A95478B.jpeg

drumstick diva and HuskerHens18 like this.
  10. Flockandfowl46

Flockandfowl46 Songster

Mar 28, 2018
    Southwest Virginia USA
    Yeah def hen...they are gorgeous! :thumbsup

drumstick diva and madlaina like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: