Hen- or rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Philbilly, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Philbilly

Philbilly New Egg

Jan 15, 2010
    Merville
    We have a flock of 70. One stands out and I have named her "Millicent The Magnificent". She is a deeper richer brown than all the others, she has a much larger comb of a deeper red than all the others, and she even has racing stripes! But we're starting to wonder if "she" is a "he". Millie is always alone, often the only one in the coop when everyone else is outside, and we seldom see her eat even when we toss scratch at her feet. She doesn't take any proprietry interest or care in the others, and doesn't crow. She's 9 months old. She has an almost haughty air. Is it possible she's a cock?

2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    is it posible to see a pic??? [​IMG]

3. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Here's how to tell the gender.

Male - * / Female **

* tip of neck feathers are pointed.
    ** tip of neck feathers are more rounded.
    * big legs and feet.
    ** small legs and feet.
    * upper tail feathers sticking out.
    ** tail feathers are more evened.
    * round head shape
    ** oval head shape

Also, I believe cockerels start crowing around 8 or 9 months...around the time a pullet starts laying.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    She very well could be. May we see a picture? I would like to gaze upon her magnificence. [​IMG]

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I think she would be crowing by now and showing interest in mating behavior. My guess is she is probably a she, not a he - but certainly without pictures it is impossible to say for sure. My roos were all crowing well before 9 months of age, which is mainly why I think she is probably a she.

6. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    I believe the cockerel I just got from someone yesterday is around 8 months and he crows every once in a while.

7. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:a tell that to my two 12( i think) week old cockerals that crow every morning o_o [​IMG]

8. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Quote:a tell that to my two 12( i think) week old cockerals that crow every morning o_o [​IMG]

Here is a video of my 3 week old [​IMG] chick crowing!

9. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    ._.; I don't know if that's a good, or bad thing. I've never heard of a chick crowing before.

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    She could be a he. It is hard to say with no pic. Cocks tend to have more glossy feathers, but it might be hard to compare if you don't have any other known cocks in the flock. You might try to research the difference between cocks and hens....But use the word Rooster....calling it a cock will turn up sites that are no help to this issue. [​IMG] All rooters don't have to crow, but it is a natural occurrence. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by