1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by drinkguiness, Jun 6, 2011.

1. drinkguiness

drinkguiness Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Here's a couple of pictures of one of my 6 production RIRs. I'd been convincing myself that I had lucked out and got all hens when I picked them up at TSC 11 1/2 weeks ago. Then, yesterday we were having a yard sale and an elderly lady noticed them. She was really pleased to see them and told me about how most folks in town had chickens back in her day. She then pointed out one of the chickens and said that I had a candidate for a rooster, but she wasn't sure. So, here's a couple of pics and I'd love to hear all of your opinions. For additional information, I have not noticed any rooster behavior from it, nor are its wattles and comb any larger or redder than the others. That being said, it is a bit, but not significantly larger than the others, and its tail feathers are the darkest and longest of the six.

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    i dont know if u wanted a roo but thats what it is good luck with ur chcikens

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    This RIR is 11 1/2 weeks old? If so I don't see much rooster in it yet. I would think the combs and wattles would be much larger if it was~ I'm not convenced by the feathers yet that it's a Roo either. I'm curous to see what others say. Good Luck!

4. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Quote:i think ur right now taking a second look it should be bigger

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    my 8 week old RIR cockerals have bigger combs.she just looks like shes going thru that lanky teenager stage.

6. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    not completely sure, but i'd say hen.

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    It doesn't look like a rooster to me. The comb isn't big enough. I have 2 12 week old production Reds and their combs are bigger then that.

8. SeasideSilkies

SeasideSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I think hen...

9. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Girl

10. drinkguiness

drinkguiness Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks everybody, I'll make sure to tell her what she is when I get home from work [​IMG]

Like so many of us, I live in a neighborhood, so no roosters. My boys are 6 and 7 years-old, so I'd prefer to wait a little bit before teaching the lesson of what else chickens are good for besides eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by