1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrchicken, Jun 12, 2011.

1. mrchicken

mrchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Hello, my chickens are now 6 1/2 weeks old, and I haven't heard any crows yet (thank god) but one of them might be a rooster.
    Please have a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Pullet [​IMG]

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Really hard to tell color in your pics because the whole pic looks re and is really blurry [​IMG]
    If you could get a better close up without red light, a close up full body shot and a shot looking down on the bird please [​IMG]
    But from what i can see it looks pullet ATM

Best Wishes,
    Laura [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Here is a picture of some of my chicks that are the same age.
    [​IMG]

5. deserthens

deserthens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Tucson, Arizona
    All the same age? I don't know much but the grey one looks like it has a much bigger comb than the rest. What kind of chickens are they? (besides cute)

6. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    there seem to be a couple men about that brooder in the picture 2 posts up!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I was playing around with breeding my Isa Browns. I was told they wouldn't breed true, and they don't but it was an experiment.

Here are the parents.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    The grayish one and the brown one standing next to it both look like roosters. The brown one facing away from the camera might also be a rooster, it looks pretty pink in the comb.

I know that the breeding stock for producing ISA browns is opposite of the colors you get when you buy ISA brown chicks--the breeding stock has brown roosters and white hens, and then in the "final product" generation, you get the brown hens and white roosters--it looks like maybe with yours the color switches again with this generation, as the white birds all appear to be pullets.

9. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    I think I see 2 maybe 3 roosters.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I think your chicks are pullets. Did you hatch them? I had about 50/50 boys and girls from my hatch, so I have about 2 dozen little boys.
    Here is another pic of some of my last hatch. A couple of the chicks with the gray coloring definitely developing their combs and wattles faster than the others.
    [​IMG]

Here are some of my RIR chicks which are about 50/50 too. These chicks are about 3 months old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by